We're happy you're here. You can use the Community to catch up on all the latest updates, discuss features, exchange experiences and tips, share your thoughts with other smart people. Your Pilot Journey Starts Here.

HDR photo

Topic created · 5 Posts · 27 Views
  • Hi Labpano developers.

Am a professional filmmaker/photographer who is enjoying experimenting and using your Pilot Era. There are two simple improvements that can substantially improve for professionals the usability of your device who shooting location stills.

1. Bracketing for HDR images.

You support HDR but it appears be limited, meaning the range and number of exposures is 3. Right?

You should allow users to select the number of images to take and the range of exposure. In a scene with a high dynamic range of brightness/darkness, 7 images may be needed. All professional photo cameras do this.

So a setting could be:

7 images, range of 2, meaning 7 images are taken with exposures of -4, -2, 0, +2, +4

or

7 images, range of 3, meaning 7 images are taken with exposures of -6, -3, 0, +3, +6

Even if your HDR software can't merge them, having source files is a huge benefit because they can be combined with external software.

2). Raw photo files!!! JPG compression sucks, as you know.

best
    -m

• Hey, mkunert. Thank you a lot for your suggestions. Tbh, I use HDR rarely, but now I guess I should definitely use it more often than I used to. Actually, I agree that JPG images suck. Cause, you know, they are really overcompressed. So, I can see pixels on it. Btw, my specialization is actually a bit different than just taking photos. I use Canvas Prints Online to perpetuate my works. Actually, when the day comes to give off the photos to the client, I always pick one photo and just print it on a canvas. Since I started doing this, I've noticed that I tend to have more and more clients now. I think they really like this idea. So, I guess you could try it out too.

• I also use different photo processing applications. HDR allows me to work with images and videos that exceed the brightness range of standard technology. I like to take pictures of the night city, the sky, organizing difficult conditions and locations. So I often use HDR to edit them. Much depends on the camera, as not every camera model can capture these types of shots. When planning a photoshoot, I take location seriously. I think more than half of my success depends on the location. I use the services of aperfectspace.com. Professionals help me choose the perfect locations and bring my ideas to reality.

• @lilei I think what @mkunert is asking for is a bracketing function that would take a series of photos at different exposure levels automatically.
    The camera would then stitch each photo individually as it already does but it would not fuse the 7 exposures as the current HDR function does.

An example of how I do this at the minute is to position my camera, find my hiding place and then click on Pro Mode.
    From here, I would then set the shutter time to the longest time and take a photo, then go back to pro mode, set shutter time to second slowest shutter and tabe my photo, then back to pro mode and go to third slowest shutter and take photo and repeat this until all shutter speeds are captured.
    The camera then automatically stitches each photo which I then export onto my windows workstation and merge the exposures in SNS-HDR to give my final output file.

This should be easily possible within the confines of the pilot hardware as it isn't using any special processing .

I'd love to go to a shoot and press a bracket shot button that quickly takes 6-7 or more photos in a row with no intervention inbetween each bracket
    I hope I've explained this clearly.

As for the lack of hardware capability for DNG, how about an option for reducing the compression of the jpg, maybe called high quality that has no compression attached, or maybe adding a lossless imagn format?

• Dear M,

Thank you for the comments and your constructive suggestions. We can understand your concerns.

Due to the hardware limitation, Pilt Era and Pilot One EE do not support Raw.

In terms of the requirements of adding the HDR to 7 images from now the three images, I regret to inform you that we cannot optimize and improve it on the camera Pilot One and Pilot Era thanks to the limitation of the hardware structure.

We will take your advice in mind and consider them in future products.

Best regards